I decided to compile a list together of as many Steganography tools as I can find. If you are not familiar with steganography, I will link some resources below that you can check out to learn more. I have tested all of these tools myself before posting to make sure they do work and are safe for use. I'll update as I find out more. If you have any suggestions, let me know What is steganography?https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steganographyhttps://www.techopedia.com/definition/4131/steganographyExploring Steganography: Seeing the Unseen
OpenStego is an open source steganography tool, which allows users to hide and extract secret information from images with ease. Information can be password protected for extra security.
- OpenStego is written in pure Java and should run on all platforms supported by java. It has been tested on MS Windows and Linux, but should not have any problem on other platforms too. Please report bugs if you find any.
- It supports password-based encryption of data for additional layer of security. AES 128 and AES 256 algorithms are supported.
- It uses a plugin based architecture, where various plugins can be created for different kind of Steganographic / Watermarking algorithms. Currently, it supports two plugins - RandomLSB (Randomized LSB) for data hiding and Dugad's algorithm for watermarking, but new plugins can be easily created for other algorithms. Plugins can also be easily added for other type of cover files like Audio files.
- All functionality is accessible using command line also. Please check this page for more details.
- Clean Java API available if someone needs to embed OpenStego in some another project. Please check API docs for more details.
You can download and read more on: https://www.openstego.com/
Stegsolve v1.3 by Caesum
Stegsolve is a stegano solver for challenges. It provides these main functions:
A quick view of different bit planes and some simple transformations.
- Data extraction from planes. This can be row order or column order, with bits treated as a bitstream and converted into bytes.
- Some simple checking of file formats and reporting on the filesize, additional bytes, file holes, etc. This is highly dependent upon the type of image.
- Stereogram solver - simply change the offset until the image becomes visible.
- Frame browser for animated images. This should also work for viewing layers in multi-layered PNG files.
- Image combiner to combine two images in a variety of ways and browse through the different combinations.
Copy/Cut and paste is available from most text using CTRL-C to copy, CTRL-V to paste and CTRL-X for cut.
If an image fails to load, for example because it is corrupt, then file analysis will still open the file that you just tried to view. It may, however, crash out before reporting the information that you want to know. This will work though on images where the PNG has corrupted CRC values for example.Image Filtering/Processing:
The software provides a number of Red, Green and Blue filters, but also Alpha and Random ones alongside.
Example of raw vs processed image: https://imgur.com/a/0teQ4hYFile Format Scanning:
Along with filters, the file format analytical tool scans the file for any unusual information. Primarily it is very good at picking up additional text which shouldn't belong there, such as hidden messages. This saves a lot of time having to look through yourself manually.
DeepSound is a steganography tool and audio converter that hides secret data into audio files. The application also enables you to extract secret files directly from audio files or audio CD tracks.
DeepSound might be used as copyright marking software for wave, flac, wma, ape, and audio CD. DeepSound also support encrypting secret files using AES-256(Advanced Encryption Standard) to improve data protection.
The application additionally contains an easy to use Audio Converter Module that can encode several audio formats (FLAC, MP3, WMA, WAV, APE) to others (FLAC, MP3, WAV, APE). NOTE
: If DS detects that an imported audio file has previously had data hidden inside, it will automatically spit out this data, or prompt for a password if it is encrypted. From a security perspective this is not ideal, but for the person trying to uncover the information this is highly convenient as it is an instant give-away that something is hidden inside.
SilentEye is a cross-platform application design for an easy use of steganography, in this case hiding messages into pictures or sounds. It provides a pretty nice interface and an easy integration of new steganography algorithm and cryptography process by using a plug-ins system.
- Hide information into images and sounds (LSB)
- Encrypt data
- hide text or file
- zlib compression of message
- Drag & Drop
SilentEye is simple to use, albeit not as sophisticated as some of the other available tools out there. Personally I find the design pretty unappealing, but it does its job well.
QuickStego is a handy, easy to use tool specially designed to help you hide text in pictures so that only other users of QuickStego can retrieve and read the hidden secret messages.
The program itself is very simple, allowing users to quickly open and encode/decode images with ease. Whilst it is very fast and the ease of use will be appreciated by many, it lacks any encryption or security further than hiding the data. They push that if you want proper encryption services you download their other paid software QuickCrypto (which, ultimately I would not say is worth it, as there are plenty of other free tools available that do the same jobs).
SSuite Picsel Security
Picsel application is a single, stand-alone, non installing, portable application that encrypts any and all plain text messages or text files with just one click of a button.
This application uses steganography, an unbreakable encryption method using only images as your key; no password necessary. Just load an original image, enter your message inside the text editor or load your plain text document file, and click on the encryption button. Now save the encrypted image with your secret text inside with a different name as the original image.
All you have to do is make sure the other interested party has the same original image that you have when sending the encrypted image to them. This original image will be the key in unlocking your secret text message. When decrypting, just load the original image first, click on the Decrypt Image button, select the encrypted image, and that is it, your secret message will now be revealed in the text editor.
To further enhance security you can now open different types of image formats e.g. BMP, JPG, PNG and WMF. You can mix and match your original images and you will still keep your text messages intact and secure.
The downside to this program is that both ends of communication require the original image alongside the encrypted one in order for the hidden data to be retrieved, which is rather inefficient in many cases, making other options much more convenient.
Upon reviewing the provided steg tools above, I have narrowed down the ones which I see as most fit for use, in both usability and design.